Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Brains are weird.

I love it when a CD corresponds to a vivid and specific time in my life. Mom is listening to The Strokes' Is This It, which I bought the summer after junior year. It reminds me of all the crap I stapled to my walls and hung from the ceiling, the cushioned litter I made out of that old shopping cart, driving around back when gas was cheap and you could just drive around. Now that I think about it, between the shopping cart, the bathrobe, and the stringy, unkempt long hair, I may have been doing Derelicte before Derek Zoolander made it cool.

More than any of that, though, it gives me a weird little phantom pain... I remember how I felt listening to this CD and associating the lyrics with my life at the time, but I can't remember what I was thinking about. It's a shortcut in my mind that used to lead somewhere important, and doesn't anymore. But I still remember all the lyrics.

Remarkably, I don't think my angst at the time had anything to do with a girl. I'm going to listen to this CD and drive around again.

No comments: