Wednesday, August 20, 2008

We're the people that we wanted to know, and we're the places that we wanted to go

I'm pretty sure that Ron Weasley is at least partly inspired by the character of Herbert Pocket in Great Expectations.

And another thing: before leaving Dallas I had lunch with my great-aunt Kathy, who is the family's resident free-thinking, bra-burning apostate here in Salt Lake. She subscribes to the Tribune and makes pervy comments about guys a third her age, which is a little endearing once you get used to it. The last time I saw her was before my mission, and I recall being annoyed with her reflexively liberal opinions and seemingly inflated opinion of herself... but this time it was different. My mission was a long, slow inoculation against bluster, and it just doesn't bother me like it used to; so this time I could enjoy all the good things about her.

I found that we actually have a great deal in common, and we see so many things the same way, especially the absurdities of Mormon culture, and that especially within our family. Of course she, like everyone else in my family, is very astute and insightful about the problems and weaknesses of everyone else in my family. It's more like anthropology than gossip... I like to consider the causes and motivations of all the weird attitudes and behaviors my close relatives exhibit.

I found Dallas basically the way I left it, which was comforting. The Collisons' house still has that weird, wonderful smell, with all its nostalgic associations, and I slept on the same squishy maroon pallet I slept on every night I stayed there since I was eight years old, with the same noisy fan spinning off-balance and keeping me awake. The dogs are still around, albeit grey-bearded and arthritic, and increasingly on Mom's nerves. I hope they never move away.

Scott and I went to Starbucks with Ujaala and Boris... we exploited their laid-back attitude and squishy chairs without buying any of their addictive stimulants. And realized later that we were a Catholic, a Mormon, a Muslim, and a Jew all hanging out... a veritable "People who are going to hell according to Jerry Falwell" sampler platter. Ujaala was very nice, and very funny, and I think my blind, unreasoning, impossibly long, unremittingly cruel infatuation with her is just about over; which is pretty significant to me, as you can imagine.

I had a bacon cheese Whataburger for the first time since my experimental psychotropic bacon cheese Whataburger in the summer of 2005, and found that it was as delicious as I remembered. Not as mind-blowing, but just as delicious. I talked to my friend Tommy who is now a Marine reservist and has really fascinating things to say.

It's weird to have a personal friend whose life for the next four years will actually be directly influenced by the impending presidential elections. For me, it will be an occasional curiosity when the news is on. Maybe something to be recreationally indignant about when talking to like-minded friends... but for him, it may be the difference between spending a year or more in a jagged desert hellhole, or every fourth weekend in San Angelo.

The weight of our republic, and all its blithe and seemingly arbitrary decisionmaking, falls almost exclusively on guys like him. The fact that he supports McCain says a lot about his character, I think. Honestly, I've regarded my right to vote with some indifference... I'm not about to get shipped off anywhere, I don't even pay taxes (so far, knock on wood). but when I think of how significant it may be to him, I want to think more carefully about it.

There's more to say, but I don't know quite how to say it, and I'd like to do it justice.

--Kevin

No comments: