Monday, April 28, 2008

Life is good.

My first FHE at the new singles ward tonight, and it was pretty much amazing. Everyone is just cool... and maybe in a weird sort of way, but I like it. Example: on the way into town I saw a little rocky mesa that I thought would be cool to climb, so I asked Peter if that was Table Mountain (for which the Table Mountain Student Ward is named). He said yes, and I was like, "Well, is it a good climb?" And he said yes, and I said, "Cool, because I'm thinking of getting up there after the Dead Day breakfast Friday morning."

So he says, "Hey, that's a great idea! Let me think, is there any reason why I shouldn't commit to that? No, I'll be done with finals then. You know, I bet there's a couple people that might be into that. I'll see what I can work out."

Of course I was planning on doing it alone, and hadn't really even insinuated that I wanted anyone to come along... but why not?

Everyone seemed to be that way... totally uncomplicated. Like when Shasta meets the Narnians for the first time in The Horse and His Boy: "You could see that they were ready to be friends with anyone who was friendly, and didn't give a fig for anyone who wasn't." We had a really good spiritual discussion at the beginning, and then just joked around and got to know each other for an hour after that. Jokes were funny if they were funny, and there was none of the Pharisaical posturing and "top the mission story", and nobody trying to demonstrate their righteousness by how easily they can be offended.

So it's been a pretty rockin' weekend. I got my first paycheck, a cute girl took my tie off in Sunday School (kinda weird but kinda cool, once again) and I'm excited to climb that dang mountain.

--Kevin

No comments: