Wednesday, May 07, 2008

I didn't lie and I ain't saying I told the whole truth

All at once, I fell back in love with Modest Mouse tonight. I was driving home from church in the dark, and listening to "Black Cadillacs", and suddenly I remembered a night more than three years ago: I was at work, sitting in my cubicle in the dark after everyone else had left, and talking to a girl who it still hurts to think about, a little. I have to tell myself there's another girl like her somewhere, but I'll believe that when I see it. We'd just finished a pretty terrific fight... or maybe we weren't quite done, I can't remember.

We both popped in "Good News For People Who Love Bad News" on our respective CD players, and hit play at the exact same time to listen to "Black Cadillacs" together. I had spent a good week telling myself she wasn't worth the trouble... I'd even found a beautiful, insipid placeholder to give myself something else to think about. But that song almost kept me following her around until graduation. I wonder if she remembers it.

--Kevin

No comments: