Monday, May 26, 2008

It's the same on the weekends as the rest of the days

Scott and I decided that the main difference between Jim Halpert (of The Office) and ourselves is the team of professional screenwriters who keep him unfailingly smooth and charming. So we will move to Los Angeles and start an internship--not a paid internship, of course--for aspiring screenwriters. We will then solicit donations to a scholarship fund (as motivation for our 'students') from which we will skim off enough money to live in Los Angeles and date the women we charm with said creative team. It's foolproof.

It was good to have Scott around; he helped me to be a little more patient with the course of my life. Instead of fighting the limitations of living in my parents' basement with no friends, I have decided to work the advantages of my position: for example, there's very little to hinder me from working ten hours a day, six days a week, and earning myself a lot of financial freedom for college (when I'll actually have a social life to spend it on).

I've been killing myself looking for something with which to fill these seemingly endless days... I've seen it as a terrible burden, when really it's one of the coolest things I've got going. I worked ten hours today, and still had time to go to a Memorial Day party, meet some cool people, and jam with an amazing cellist. That's about all the excitement I need in a day.

On a different note, something pretty great happened this Sunday. So a couple weeks ago, before I had my epiphany about the Blazer scoutleader thing, one of my kids (John-Michael) walked past me in the chapel and gave me the worst stink-eye I think I've ever got from an eleven-year-old. I hadn't figured eleven-year-olds to be complex-enough creatures to contain the kind of loathing his look communicated. Pretty discouraging.

But I've been doing a lot better with the kids, and this Sunday, John-Michael walked past my aisle during sacrament meeting, gave me a nod, and held out his hand for a discreet low-five. Pretty much the coolest thing that's happened to me since I've been here.

--Kevin

No comments: