Tuesday, May 06, 2008

"She laughs at everything you say. Why? Because she has fine teeth."

I went up to CSM this morning with folks from the singles ward, to help students move out of their dorms for the summer. I encountered a captivatingly attractive brunette who told me her major was civil engineering; to which I replied, "That's amazing, I was way good at Sim City back in the day." Maybe she only laughed to keep me enthusiastically hauling her TV and mini-fridge down the three flights of stairs to the parking lot, but she had the prettiest laugh I think I've ever heard.

I discovered that her mother was a less-active member of the Church, which led me to lament how differently it all could have gone. She would have been lovelier, really, without the tiny shorts and spaghetti straps, and I could have met her at church a month and a half ago. I was tempted to make it my business to right this wrong, but I neglected even to get her name.

And then I went home and filled a spreadsheet while watching old Star Trek episodes pretty much all day. I know I need the money, and part of this mortal probation is "eating bread by the sweat of thy face"--though in this case the metaphor is so loose as to be a little ridiculous to me--but it's hard to sit there all day, listening to my heart beat and wondering how many more are left in there.

--Kevin

No comments: